Major Project | Sign-Off Friday! [19/10/2018]

Colour and Texture Studies
Going onwards from the choice to take my chosen design further, I started experimenting with the movement of this creature, its life cycle, (which I will discuss in more detail for my next post), and their colour scheme. 
However, I quickly found I was struggling with the colour application, so I met with Alan to discuss ways to get around this. Assuming the problem was a practical one, Alan talked to me about colour palettes, drawing traditionally, and better understanding the nature of photoshop (what exactly the program actually does when you use a tool, to understand better why it's responding a certain way). 
I realised I was using too many colours in one given image- digitally drawing in photoshop as if I were painting in real life- eye picking different tones and colours and working immediately from them. This was problematic, as it made the drawings overwhelming and unreadable in terms of 'character'. 
So, the next week or so, I did some research and experiments in photoshop to reduce 'muddy colours', and practising the process of palette making (using images from MRI scans, to better relate visually to ideas of 'memory', as suggested by Phil). 

The life cycle of the 'Memory Beetle'

Experimenting with ear attachment #1

Experimenting with ear attachment #2

Protruding vs. Hidden legs

Experimenting with ear attachment #3

Experimenting with ear attachment #4

Hairs/antennaes for connecting to auditory nerve

The concept was for the eggs to stick to overhanging foliage/cave ceilings, where the beetles themselves live, and for them to develop from this egg sac. 



Muddy colours I found were a consequence to 'opacity' levels, and diluting certain colours down. 

Experimenting with the 'blur tool'.

A few other students kindly gave me advice on painting with colours in photoshop. Here I experiment with the 'blur tool' (something I've never used before) to transition between extreme colours.






I decided to try limiting myself to 3 colours, 5 colours and 5+ colours to help see the difference between each painting:

Incidentally it's not that these designs necessarily have any less colours at the end, but rather I acquire them through blending, rather than colour picking and using colours that may not necessarily be in the transition, but part of another colour palette altogether.


Comments

Popular Posts