101 Concept Drawings- Part 1




Looking back at the 101 concept drawings, pre-'induction week', there's a lot I feel I can learn from. 
Here, I'm thinking the pencil lines are probably too light, and few times my drawings detour from the brief, or were overthought and over complicated. 
Additionally, the drawings are less thumbnails and boarding more full scale drawings. 
However, it's good to know these things for future reference. 


The first problem I'd encountered was designing concepts based solely on function, as opposed to appearance. Additionally, I felt I couldn't produce a drawing unless I knew the context behind that design. From there I knew why and how something should look as a result. 

Above, is a page showing one of my concepts I used later as a finalised design ('Structure'). The idea was to use the function of a pair of scissors, (the swinging opening and shut), within the design of a skyscraper. This building probably would be highly secure, possibly having only the ground floor open to the public. Higher floors would only be accessible to only a few individuals, or perhaps be a base for a secret corporation. During moments of threats, the building's stair case will swing up and attain the defensive position. Hopefully no one would be on the bridge when this happens. Thinking about how this building would actually function was very challenging, but fun. 
For a start the length of staircase would have to increase during the swing. How would it slide down without damaging a ledge or protrusion lower down? (See *** post to see the multiple designs I made for this response).

This was a close up drawing to see how the staircase would lay across the side of the building when the staircase was lowered. As it falls into place, the stairs latches onto a stable ledge, leading into the main interior of the building.


It was at this point I'd got quite stuck with the project as a whole.
My brother gave me some helpful advice to stop 'overthinking' the content, suggesting the 'association game'.
The idea's to bounce words back and forth quickly, so the first thought to come to mind are often the ones to be written down.
Eventually you get a list of words extremely different from one another, and through the merging of two of these words visually seconds after choosing, I managed to get back into the flow.
Bear in mind please, some of the drawings detour a little at times for that reason. There're times when this happens, where i'm trying to re-capture that sense of immediate thought. 



Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this process, Rachael - highly reflective and engaging :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts