Digital Painting- Exercise 2



The second exercise had us using a graphics tablet to paint a coloured still life, which was tricky (smooth transitions, or subtle colour changes etc.). Usually I tend to avoid colour use in my drawings, opting more for black and white. However, it's about time I start getting into the habit of experimenting more with it (digitally particularly).
I intended to use the mixer brush a lot in this image to give a more painterly effect to the picture, but found leaving the blocks of colour as they were gave quite a nice effect.

Comments

  1. While working with black and white is perfectly acceptable it can limit you on what your audience would be, kids like bright colourful things and so do a lot of teens (aside from the edge lords) but by all means don't give up on black and white! Perhaps you could use that to your advantage later on in the course by having a black and white background with a character or certain objects in colour, it's quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, and I see where you’re coming from in that it can be limiting, definitely. I feel it’s probably a good idea to get comfortable using both, so that if the circumstances arise, it’s less of a matter of ‘this is easier to use, so I’ll use that’, and more what’s relevant to the work.
    It’s probably going to be very dependent upon the work being produced as well.
    Also your mention of using colour amongst a black and white background makes me think of Schindler List, and the director’s use of colour for the girl’s coat. The effect was really quite shocking and relevant to the film’s theme.
    Perhaps using it as a shock tactic, or like you say- as something to help identify things/people is something I can work with later down the line.
    I’ll keep it in mind!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts