Adobe Audition: 'Making Sounds from No. 61'

Using an image of our choice, we were asked to make a 'Soundscape', to help experiment with: 'Doppler Effect', 'Distortion', 'Convolution Reverb', 'Tone', 'Speech' and 'Noise' effects in Audition.
This has helped give me some idea of how we might go about making our own sounds, for future animations.
I'd chosen Mark Rothko's 'No. 61', which I thought would be interesting trying to show audibly, using it's visual components: layered colours, vague hues coming through each messy block, the blue border that seems to encapsulate the painting, etc.
Someone else had the idea to take sections out of the audio in the visual shape of the painting, in their own Soundscape, which i'd thought was great. It's something I want to try out next time I get into Audition.
In the mean while though, check out my own attempt:

   
And here's some of my audio files, that had contributed:
Adobe Audition Toolkit #3 from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
1# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
2# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
3# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
4# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
5# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
6# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
 
7# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
8# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
9# from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
 
10 from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.
11 from Rachael Holyhead on Vimeo.

Comments

  1. I like very much how you've unpacked your layers in this way, Rachael - very clear - but I have to say that I can't quite appreciate all those contributors in your final assembly, as the hiss seems to dominate; as suggested, it might be that you want to consider your soundscapes as 'incremental' so your image represents a sort of sound 'key frame' which you can arrive at or depart from, giving you a bit more space for creativity and modulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the 'static' overpowering the rest of the soundscape, but I'm a little confused about the solution. Are you saying to have a solid portion that is what represents the image... and then have the rest come and go from that one portion? A little bit like a song, with the intro, verse and chorus?

      Delete
  2. Its great to listen to the sounds you created. I think the tones you generated complimented the colours and hues of the Rothko painting well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts