Maya Tutorial 2- Modelling NURBS and Polygons

As part of our second Maya tutorial, we produced a collection of glasses and a bottle of wine to test out the modelling process, both for 'NURBS' and for 'Polygons'.
Reflecting on the outcome, it was interesting testing out the variety of shapes one can achieve with both, though Polygons seem to feel more restrictive (I felt, personally, though I know this isn't technically the case)... since  it determines volume through extruding or pulling in the 'mould', much like you work when sculpting,  and didn't allow a more 'freehand' approach.
However, in terms of appearance, I think that Polygons (at this point in time), seem to suit things or objects that are mass produced in today's culture... since NURBS tend to give a more organic/distinct feel to each model. Though technically, I'm sure however, you can most likely produce multiple versions of the same one.


Unfortunately when I was following the last part of the exercise, I managed to click something that changed the viewing setting of the program. In my attempt to fix it I made it worse, and in the end I had to return to a previous version I'd saved. At which point I missed the last part, and thus haven't created the space for Polygon's wine to hold the wine. This is something I will post soon, trying to finish. From what information I've gathered since, it requires the user to highlight the surface faces on the top of the glass, and 'Extrude' the model inwards.
Another thing I'm not sure about was, (as you probably had noticed on the powerpoint below), the way in fact I'd somehow managed to distort the original shape of the glass. I tried to stretch the model back but this proved fruitless. This problem will be something else I intend to find out how to fix for future reference. 

Maya's seems to be such an intricate program, it's not hard to get lost in it. However, all the more reason to keep persevering! 

Comments

Popular Posts