'Fantastic Voyage' | OGR [Part 1]

Comments

  1. OGR 16/03/17

    Hi Rachael,

    Okay - nicely articulated in terms of 'fascination' being a goal for your film - that sense of 'cosmic' excitement as we start to think about ourselves on a molecular level. The idea of the circle vignette is interesting, mimicking the intimacy of the microscope, though I would just ask the question as to whether reproducing a visual limitation (a cropping of access to visuals etc) is the best use of animation's innate strengths as a medium? Why maintain a distance that the commission sort of wants you to address? Just a thought - as it maybe that you can use the circle vignette very creatively to 'open and close' onto particular areas of focus as a means of dividing up the content. I don't quite follow the Tintin associations it might relate to this first idea of the circle, and it doesn't seem as if you're moving towards a more narrative 'story-focused' idea. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

    At the moment, I'd say - gently - that you're drawing, not thumbnailing. I think I need to see you reacting in a more 'designer' way to the idea of taking the scientific imagery and beginning to think about it with your '3D modeller/animator' head on - because there is an awful lot of implied complexity in your 'thumbnails' and I don't want to see you establishing an aesthetic that isn't 'fit for purpose' or translatable in a practical or meaningful way. Can you update your blog with some thumbnails that perhaps show 'what you mean' when you think about what your audience is going to be looking at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the vignette being counter productive... I've done some more concepts, since, exploring ways of using it either as a transition or means of focus. The tintin association was merely concerned with the frame size, but again I've decided not really to go down that route so I'm dropping that from the references. I've tried to do some more 'animating' oriented thumbnailing here: http://rachael-holyhead.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/fantastic-voyage-concept-drawings.html, if this is what you mean? Though I'm a little confused, sorry! Could you possibly let me know if this is the sort of thing I need instead? Thanks,
      Rachael

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts